Hello Earthlings!

Welcome to my blog, i hope you enjoy your stay! Please take some time to browse through my work and leave comments!

Friday 8 April 2011

1. In what ways does your product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?

1: Masthead
For the masthead of my magazine I used white font in bold letters encased in a black shape, I wanted something unique and eye catching so therefore I used these two colours to make the whole magazine on a whole look more eye catching. This challenges conventions which are normally associated with pop magazines as their colours are normally bright and colourful, however I wanted a new theme of magazine so therefore I think these colours are good. No other magazine has had such a bold masthead so already existing conventions for media magazines are different to mine.

2- Title Font and Style
I used medium size writing on my magazine because I wanted it to be 1.) easily read, and 2.) look proffesional, so therefore I selected a range of fonts to use and settled on "American typewriter" this gives a fancy, sophisticated look to my magazine and I have reflected it on both my contents page and my double page spread. Another font which I used is "Enter name here" this was the font I initially used for my masthead, however I think the impact the font has on my magazine would look good echoed throughout my product, so therefore I also used this font again, on my contents page and double page spread.

3- Written Content
The written content of my magazine follows similiar conventions which are associated with previous media products, for example I used similiar conventions for the interview in my double page spread, asking questions such as "Inspirations and tours" these such things can be found in existing produts.

4- Music Genre
The main genre for my magazine is pop music, this can be seen throught my magazien as I have used colours which are commonly associated with pop music and also existing artists and music which fit under that category. I wanted my genre to also coesist with the charts so therefore the genre corresponds with both pop music and chart music. The props I used also illustrate my genre, for example on my contents page my model is holding a tamborine, an instrument which is sometimes linked with pop music. I believe my genre challenges conventions of existing products because hardly any existing magazines initially focus on pop music, so therefore I wanted to create a new edge.

6- Costumes and Props
The costumes and props used in "Edge" are conventional to my genre. This can be seen by their costumes and props in which I have used throughout my product. For example, the outfit my model is wearing in all three elements of my product reflect the fashion or today and also can be similarry viewed in some of todays biggest pop influennces.

7 – People
The people I have used in my magazine follow similar conventions already used by other media products, for example the outfits and pose of the model I used is quite promisquous, this is commonly used to appeal to both genders of the readership, as girls will want to be her and boys will want to be with her. Also as fashion and beauty are major influences of todays culture I wanted a new theme to add glamour to my magazine. This also supports my genre and audience.

8 – Layout
The layout of my magazine is mainly conventional as I used a model staring straight at the camera, which is placed int he middle of my page. The tag lines follow a distinct pattern to other media products by forming down the side and the masthead is placed on the top left hand side. A place many mastehads are normally layed out. My conents page also follows conventions, reflecting my front cover and listing the other interviews in which the magazine holds, this can be seen in other media products. However, I believe my double page spread challenged already placed conventions of media products as it had one image blown up to cover both pieces of paper with a bright background, the model is also swearing something which wouldn't normally occur in double page spread, but I used this technique to appeal to my audience and fit with my genre.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment